We recently published a collection of articles overviewing the seven principles behind the Disciplined Agile (DA) framework. The article is entitled Principles Behind the Disciplined Agile Framework and it in turn is supported by detailed articles, one for each principle:
- Delight Customers – We delight our customers when our products and services not only fulfill their needs and expectations but surpass them.
- Be Awesome – Awesome teams are built around motivated individuals who are given the environment and support required to fulfill their objectives.
- Pragmatism – Let’s be as effective as we can be, and that may mean we go beyond being just agile.
- Context Counts – Every person, every team, and every organization is unique. Let’s find and evolve an effective strategy given the situation we actually face.
- Choice is Good – Different contexts require different strategies. Teams need to be able to own their own process and to experiment to discover what works in practice for them given the situation that they face. Having process options to choose from, and understanding the trade-offs of those options, enables you to home in on better options sooner.
- Optimize Flow – Your organization is a complex adaptive system (CAS) of interacting teams and groups that individually evolve continuously and affect each other as they do. To succeed you must ensure that these teams are well aligned, remained well aligned, and better yet improve their alignment over time.
- Enterprise Awareness – When people are enterprise aware they are motivated to consider the overall needs of their organization, to ensure that what they’re doing contributes positively to the goals of the organization and not just to the sub-optimal goals of their team.
We hope that you find these articles insightful.