In September 2016 InfoQ published an interview, Benefits of Agile Transformation at Barclays, with Jonathon Smart and Ian Dugmore of Barclays in the UK. The interview summarizes the experiences of adopting Disciplined Agile (DA) strategies within Barclays. Some of the key points made in the interview include:
- Barclays is a large financial institution with over 130,000 employees that has been in operation for over 325 years
- Barclays is taking a holistic approach to their agile transformation, it is not just a technology thing, linking up their various “islands of agility” to reduce the impedance mismatch between them
- Barclays has the equivalent of over 800 agile teams that have adopted DA approaches in progress
- They considered SAFe, LeSS and DA and settled on DA as it is not a “one-size fits all” approach
- They needed to change both their funding and measurement strategies
- Results include: A 300% increase in throughput (note: measured in terms of story delivery); 50% reduction in code complexity; test code coverage increase by 50%; More than half of teams are deploying into production at least monthly; Improved team happiness/morale; Improved business outcomes such as quicker time to market
The source article is definitely a very interesting read. Scott Ambler + Associates has worked with Barclays from the beginning of their transformation and we work with many other organizations around the world to do the same.