This paper describes, step-by-step, how to evolve from today’s Scrum vision of agile software development to a disciplined agile solution delivery. It begins with a brief overview of the agile software development movement and its implications. We then overview the Scrum method with its associated benefits and drawbacks, and then how to move beyond Scrum to a full delivery process framework called Disciplined Agile Delivery (DAD). DAD is a governed, hybrid approach that provides a solid foundation from which to scale agile solution delivery within enterprise-class organizations. The steps to do this are:
- Focus on consumable solutions, not just potentially shippable software
- Extend Scrum’s construction lifecycle to address the full delivery lifecycle
- Move beyond method branding
- Adopt explicit governance strategies
- Take a goal-based approach to enable tailoring and scaling
You can download the paper here.