The Disciplined Agile Consortium is proud to announce the launch of our certification programme for practitioners of Disciplined Agile Delivery (DAD). DAC is offering three practitioner certifications:
- Disciplined Agile Yellow Belt. This beginner certification indicates to colleagues and employers that you are eager to learn Disciplined Agile Delivery (DAD) strategies that enable you to increase your skills and abilities as a software professional.
- Disciplined Agile Green Belt. This intermediate certification indicates that you are experienced at DAD and are on your way to becoming a generalizing specialist. You have the potential to be a “junior coach” under the guidance of a senior coach (someone who is likely a Disciplined Agile Black Belt).
- Disciplined Agile Black Belt. This expert certification indicates that you are a trusted expert with significant proficiency at DAD. You can coach other people in disciplined agile strategies and advise organizations in the adoption and tailoring of the DAD framework.
When we developed this certification programme it was driven by six principles:
- Certifications must provide value. First and foremost, a certification must provide value to the person being certified. This value comes from learning new and valuable strategies during the process of earning the certification as well as greater employability resulting from the certification. Of course there are always limits to the value of any certification.
- Certifications must be earned. The effort required to earn the certification must be commensurate with the value provided. For example, it is easy to earn a Disciplined Agile Yellow Belt because the yellow belt is an indication that someone has basic knowledge of Disciplined Agile Delivery (DAD) and wishes to learn more. A Disciplined Agile Green Belt is harder to earn because it is an indication of both knowledge and experience. A Disciplined Agile Black Belt is very difficult to earn because it’s an indication of expertise and competence.
- Certifications must be respectable. We believe that the Disciplined Agile certifications are respectable for several reasons. First, the fact that you have to do some work to earn them is a welcome difference from other agile certifications. Second, we’re aligning with other respectable certification programmes and are requesting participation in one or more of those programmes as part of Green and Black belt certification.
- Certifications must be focused. The focus of this programme is on disciplined agile approaches to IT solution delivery. Disciplined agile certifications are an indication of knowledge and experience in disciplined agile methods.
- Certification is part of your learning process. Disciplined professionals view certification as part of their learning process. Certification, and learning in general, is not an event but instead an ongoing effort. The implication is that once you have earned your certification you must continue working to keep your skills up to date.
- Certified professionals have a responsibility to share knowledge. Not only have we adopted the concept of earning belts from martial arts we have also adopted the mindset that people have a responsibility to help teach and nurture people with lower belts to learn new skills and knowledge. The act of teaching and sharing information often leads one to a greater understanding and appreciation of the topic, and thus helps the teacher as well as the student to learn.
Differentiate yourself in the marketplace. Certification in Disciplined Agile Delivery (DAD) means something to clients and employers because it needs to be earned. Certification in DAD tells the marketplace you understand how to deliver an agile solution from end-to-end with experience in enterprise-class development.