I’m happy to announce that Introduction to Disciplined Agile Delivery 2nd Edition: A Small Agile Team’s Journey from Scrum to Disciplined DevOps is now available. The 111 page book sells for $9.99 US for the paperback edition and $3.99 US for the Kindle edition. The book is currently available on Amazon.com in the US and will soon be available on Amazon in other countries as per Amazon’s usual deployment strategy.
This book provides a quick overview of how agile software development works from beginning-to-end. It describes Disciplined Agile Delivery (DAD), the first of four levels of the Disciplined Agile (DA) process decision framework, and works through a case study describing a typical agile team’s experiences adopting a DA approach. The book describes how the team develops the first release of a mission-critical application while working in a legacy enterprise environment. It describes their experiences from beginning-to-end, starting with their initial team initiation efforts through construction and finally to deploying the solution into production. It also describes how the team stays together for future releases, overviewing their process improvement efforts from their Scrum-based beginnings through to a lean continuous delivery approach that fits in with their organization’s evolving DevOps strategy.
What’s Different in This Edition
In the 2.5 years since the first edition was released DAD, and to a greater extent the DA framework in general, has evolved. Here are the major changes:
- Chapter 3 was completely rewritten to reflect the changes to DAD, in particular to addition of the Continuous Delivery: Agile lifecycle as well as the evolution of several process goals.
- Chapter 12 was rewritten to describe how the team, and more importantly the organization they work within, evolve into a Disciplined DevOps strategy. In the first edition we just took the team to the Continuous Delivery: Lean point, but in this edition we take them right into DevOps.
- Appendix A was rewritten to reflect the latest release of the DA framework. When the first edition was released the 2.1 version of the framework was overviewed in the Appendix. Since then the framework has been expanded to address four levels – DAD, Disciplined DevOps, Disciplined Agile IT, and now Disciplined Agile Enterprise (DAE) – instead of the original three. With the addition of DAE the DA framework provides true insight for how to begin supporting business agility within your organization.
- General updates were made throughout the book, including the update of several diagrams to reflect the evolution of DAD, expanding on a few ideas that readers said they wanted to hear more about, and fixing a few outstanding grammar errors.
- The book is using a slightly larger format, 6 inches by 9 inches, to match An Executive’s Guide to Disciplined Agile format. Similarly we also updated the cover to be consistent with that book.